If you have anything to do with social media or the news, you are probably very aware of the fact that the issue of transexuals and which bathrooms they should use is at the forefront of everybody’s attention. The conversation on the issue is far from a cordial one. One of the main reasons for this is the smug, intolerant attitude of the Left who is using choleric, bigoted rhetoric to portray all Conservatives as bigots (oh, the irony).
While the Left tends to hold itself in delusions of grandeur as the party of love and acceptance, they are betraying their propensity for the same irrational intolerance which they so love to find and condemn. This trend is manifesting itself in the lgbt+ debate in three main ways: the left is negatively mischaracterizing the conservatives based on vocal outliers, misconstruing the arguments being set forth by conservatives, and promoting “hate culture” through the same kind of rhetoric which they condemn in other contexts. I’m going to assume all three of those things are being done unintentionally, so my hope is that the Left audience will take this article as a wake up call rather than condemnation. Furthermore, I do not believe, nor do I want to believe, that everyone on the Left is guilty of the things I listed. I would like to believe that I am just experiencing a conspicuous minority. So let that conspicuous minority on the left re-evaluate their actions, and let those who are behaving themselves keep everyone else accountable.
1. The left’s negative mischaracterization of conservatives: There are some hateful, bigoted, racist, homophobic conservatives out there. We could point to literally any group of people and find flawed members of that group. But it is logically problematic to take those outliers and draw hasty generalizations from them. Sadly, this is what the Left seems to be doing. The number of Facebook statuses and Huffington Post articles I have read which treat conservatives as equals in a debate is dwarfed by the number which go straight on the attack against conservatives as inherently bigoted people who just need to get with the times. However, this kind of smug, presumptuous rhetoric is just as bigoted as the bigotry which is allegedly being displayed by conservatives. If the Left truly wants to move forward in the conversation on transsexualism, then they must approach conservatives as equals who have reasons for what they believe as opposed to assuming conservatives are just crazy hicks. And, no, you cannot characterize us by our horrible selection of presidential candidates.
If the Left does not want conservatives misconstruing lgbt+ people, or stereotyping minorities, or classifying liberals as brainless, emotion-driven bleeding hearts, then the Left must not be guilty of the same thing in its treatment of conservatives. The current level of hypocrisy is so blinding that it is impossible to see how progress on the issues that actually matter can be made.
2. The Left’s failure to grasp the arguments being set forth by conservatives: Let’s just settle this once and for all. I grew up in and currently live in conservative, Christian culture and I do not know a single person who is actually afraid of transexuals or thinks that they are inherently pedophiles and racists. So it continues to astound me just how unable (or unwilling) the Left really is in trying to understand the nuances of the conservative approach to the issues around transsexualism. No, we do not hate transexuals. We just recognize that when transexual males are allowed in women’s bathrooms and locker rooms, a caveat is formed which creates the potential for other men to use them with nefarious motives.
Notice what I just said there. I did not say the transexuals are pedophiles or rapists. I said that other men who are pedophiles and rapists could be allowed in bathrooms under the guise of being transexual. It’s not a hard idea, yet the Left continues hurling names like “transphobic,” “homophobic,” and “hateful.” Yet the line of reasoning I set forth has nothing to do whatsoever with one’s attitude towards transexuals. Now we could go back and forth over whether the aforementioned concern is a legitimate one. But that is not the point here. The point is that the Left needs to get on the same page to even have the right conversation. As things are now, the Left is only hurling hateful, intolerant names at conservatives, thereby making hateful, intolerant bigots of themselves.
3. The Left’s use of rhetoric which it would condemn in other situations: The idea of rape culture has recently become well known. It is the idea that we must be careful not to tacitly let rapists off the hook for the moral egregiousness of their crimes when we tell potential victims of rape to be careful to avoid situations where they are vulnerable. There is absolutely something of merit to this idea. People making themselves vulnerable to rape is only problematic if there are people who will exploit that vulnerability. My abbreviated thoughts on rape culture in general are that I think a balance must be reached in the understanding that human nature is inherently evil enough that one should never let their guard down against sexual assault while, at the same time, we must keep the assaulters accountable and explicitly condemn their actions.
The problem is that the Left, the main advocate against rape culture, is engaging in rhetoric that is exactly the kind of thing which they condemn in “rape culture,” and I call this “hate culture.” The common line is that transexual males cannot use the same bathroom as males because transexuals might be assaulted by those horrible, transphobic, cisgender, conservative hicks. While this is the kind of hateful sweeping generalization against conservatives which liberals accuse conservatives of making against the lgbt+ community (based, of course, solely on anecdotal evidence and questionable statistics), that is not the point. The point is that liberals are committing the same kind of tacit acceptance of hatred against transexuals while they condemn that same tacit acceptance of rapists. If the Left was consistent with itself, it would be preaching a message of acceptance and tolerance for the transgender community to end such violence as opposed to espousing the same tired accusations against the cisgendered, conservative scum and assuming that conservatives just can’t help themselves from assaulting transexuals the moment a transexual walks in the bathroom.
The sad reality is that there are indeed hateful people who would assault homosexuals. Both conservatives and liberals ought to be condemning such people in unison whether or not they agree on the nature of transsexuality or what facilities transexuals should be using. As long as the Left just accepts that such violent hatred will exist by placing the perpetrators in the same hopeless class as the conservative movement, one of the largest voices which could be used to change such hatred will be ineffective.
So what? The point is that the Left is currently accusing the Right of needing to get with the times in the conversation on transexuals, however, the reality is that the Left has just as much, if not more, soul-searching to do before it will be ready to engage with the conservative community on some of today’s most sensitive topics. The Left must stop committing the very bigotry of which they accuse conservatives. The Left must be willing to actually understand what conservatives are saying as opposed to using their anti-conservative bias to misconstrue what conservatives are saying in order to further confirm their bias against conservatives. Finally, the Left must set aside their biases to break out of its “hate culture” in assuming that it is inevitable that the cisgender scum will assault transexuals because they just can’t help themselves.
I’m a conservative. I don’t hate transexuals. I don’t fear transexuals. I don’t think they are inherently pedophiles and rapists. And the vast, vast majority of conservatives think the same way. We just think that there are some serious safety issues to be considered in the conversation on which bathrooms transexuals should be using; not because of transexuals but because there are evil people out there who will exploit any caveat they can find to satisfy their perversions.
Latest posts by Kyle Huitt (see all)
- When Talking Heads Become the Minds of a Civilization - October 23, 2017
- What Everyday Christians Need to Know About Apologetics When Their Beliefs are Under Fire - October 17, 2017
- Can We Please Stop Calling Intellectual Rejects “Woke?” - October 4, 2017